Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Still here, been busy.


Where has my time gone?

The little 104 degree weather got the attention of my refrigeration and air-conditioning customers, that took a little of my time. The Redway Barbecue took a great deal of my time. Then politics took a little of my time. I started to feel guilty about not spending enough time with my wife. That, and I was beginning to miss her.

Chris Brannan invited us to his place in Ferndale, that just happens to have a great view of the Kinetic Sculpture Race finish line. So I took my wife to the place that we went on our first date. The Kinetic Sculpture Race. We had a great time. It seems like “time” is becoming my watchword here.

“tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people. Time keeps slipping away”
Stevie Ray Vaughan


I have been spending as much time as I can, trying to help Estelle with her campaign for supervisor. I have gotten to know her pretty well. She plays very fair, and I admire that quality in a person. This campaign season has been very rough on her, in that she is trying to be respectful of Rodoni’s death, and be fair with the widow, but it seems like the widow wants her husbands old job. We feel that it is important for all of the second district to get Estelle elected.

From my standpoint, it is difficult to be involved in a campaign. Going into it, I promised myself that I would not let it get personal, and friendships are more important than politics, and if I disagree with someone, I want to disagree respectfully enough to not damage a friendship. I hope that I’ve maintained that philosophy, and in the same time not damaged Estelle’s chance to become elected.

I have had some great fun going door to door and meeting up with some of my old friends that I haven’t seen in years. I think that I might be slowing the campaign down a little by reminiscing with old friends, but Estelle says that it is okay as long as we remember our focus.

She has been well received by most people. It is obvious that they are being more than just polite. They seem genuinely interested in talking to her. Estelle is a very intelligent person and is very engaging.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve been doing instead of blogging. How about you?

5 comments:

Fred Mangels said...

Working and playing Aces High ,whenever possible, on this end.

Kym said...

Rats, We had planned on being at Chris' then at the last weren't able to go. I would have enjoyed talking to you in person. Now I regret even more not being able to make it.

Ernie Branscomb said...

Chris had a pretty good crowd. The food was good and so were the drinks. I didn't drink anything because I was driving, but I was told that there were some great wines there.

The race was fun to watch also. It was very obvious that it was not a race, but a display.

Anonymous said...

I remember the first year they had the race. I did my my best trying to talk Ernie into building a racer. I knew Ernie could engineer and build the winning entry and he would have had a good helper.

Jim

Jeff said...

I'm carryin' the guilt of the same spring busy-ness, Ernie. What is it 'bout this time of year that keeps us movin' as we do. Ah, for the laziness of a Humboldt winter with time to think 'tween the rain showers.