Sunday, July 22, 2007

(Yuck!) Volkswagens

My first car was a baby-blue ‘51 ford two door hard top flat head V-8, with the best A.M. radio that you ever heard. In 1963 it was probably considered a beater car, but I sure wish I had it now.

The bane of my existence was Volkswagen's. Every traffic jam and every traffic pile-up was caused by a Volkswagen. All we had back then was two lane roads. It seemed like every time that I was in a big hurry to get somewhere; I’d be behind a Volkswagen. They were the most gutless car on the road and they wouldn’t pull over because they didn’t want to loose that great momentum that they thought that they had going. The only place that you had a chance to get past one would be on a hill with a passing lane, then there would be a logging truck passing it and take up the whole hill doing it. You’ve finally brought up a bad memory for me, it gives me heartburn, and it still makes me shudder, almost as bad as brussel sprouts.

Thank God most of the Volkswagen Transporter vans were made into dune-buggies, because they had a double reduction rear drive axle which gave them lower gearing and higher ground clearance. I will have to concede they made the best dune buggies ever!

NOW, my wife just bought a Pontiac GTO with 400 horse power and 400 ft. lbs. of torque. When she isn’t looking, I sneak it out of the garage and go hunting for Volkswagens! All's well that ends well!

No comments: